Our Island Comfort trucks are stocked with common parts so our expert technicians can complete repairs as quickly as possible.
We might work fast but that also means you may forget to ask us some important questions about your HVAC system.
Our technicians aren’t just experienced, they’re also filled with industry knowledge!
Run through the list below. If something stands out, give us a call or ask us when we’re at your home for an annual 32-Point Tune-Up.
From saving money and energy to improving efficiency and preventing system breakdown, you shouldn’t ignore these burning HVAC questions.
1) Why is My Home So Dusty?
If you’re fighting a losing battle against dust, that’s a sign your indoor air quality is subpar.
If you can’t remember the last time you changed your filter, it’s time to change it.
Using a high-quality pleated or polyester filter is the best way to trap dust before it cycles back into your home. Not only will you have to dust less frequently, but your lungs will thank you, too.
2) How Can I Reduce My Energy Costs?
Hawaii residents pay some of the highest electricity bills in the country. Your air conditioner, while important, is likely the largest contributor to your sky-high electric bills.
Your Island Comfort HVAC technician is full of tips to help you reduce your energy costs.
- Upgrading to an energy-efficient HVAC system can save you hundreds each year.
- Old HVAC systems, in general, won’t run as efficiently as they used to and use more power.
- Faulty parts may cause your air conditioner to draw more power than necessary.
- An HVAC system too large for your home will drive up your electric bill.
- Poor insulation will cause cool air to seep out and hot air to enter your home, causing your system to work overtime.
Schedule an appointment and we can investigate ways for you to save money each month!
3) Do I Need Attic Insulation?
The hot Hawaiian sun beats on your roof all day. Without attic insulation, your HVAC system has to compensate for that extra heat.
An Island Comfort technician can let you know if installing attic insulation can slash your energy costs and reduce stress on your HVAC system.
4) Would I Save Money on Air Conditioning Services by Replacing My System?
In some cases, the costs associated with maintaining and repairing your HVAC system will outweigh the cost of purchasing a new system.
When you need a large repair, make sure to ask your technician if it would cost you less to simply upgrade the entire system. Your Island Comfort tech will always let you know the best way to save money.
5) What Will Void My Warranty?
Did you know that popping the hood and attempting DIY repairs could void your warranty? (Plus, it’s extremely dangerous.)
Ask your Island Comfort technician which maintenance tasks you can (and should) do yourself and which are best left to the professionals.
6) How Often Should I Replace My HVAC Filter?
Each home is unique. While it’s always smart to use the highest quality filter possible, how often you should change it isn’t so finite. Generally, you should replace every:
- 90 days for homes without pets or allergies
- 60 days for homes with one pet
- 30 days for homes with more than one pet OR a family member with allergies or breathing problems
Your Island Comfort technician can analyze your unique living situation and provide you with educated suggestions.
7) How Can I Avoid Emergency Repairs?
Many costly repairs can be avoided with simple routine maintenance. During a 32-Point Tune-Up, your technician will replace faulty parts and look for potential problems. Proactive maintenance helps you prevent larger problems.
Additionally, you’ll want to keep your fan and evaporator coils clean. Built-up debris, dust, and dead insects can clog your machine, cause it to run inefficiently, AND lead to expensive repairs.
8) How Can I Improve My Indoor Air Quality?
Keeping up with air filter replacements is the easiest way to improve your indoor air quality. However, it’s also important to keep the humidity levels in your home low to prevent mold and bacteria growth.
To keep your indoor air quality safe, you should:
- Make sure your evaporator coil is clean.
- Keep your refrigerant fully charged.
- Lower your fan speed.
- Consider installing a thermal expansion valve.
Your Island Comfort technician can help you figure out how to do all of the above during a routine maintenance check!
9) What is This Funny Smell or Sound?
Any smell, such as mildew or burning, suggests a larger problem with your HVAC system. The same rule applies to any unusual sounds like rattling or screeching.
Don’t hesitate to contact Island Comfort for a checkup if you’re noticing any strange behavior from your HVAC system. We can replace faulty parts and clean your system up before larger (and more expensive) repairs become necessary.
10) Why Do My Lights Flicker When My AC Kicks On?
If you notice your lights flicker or dim when you turn your AC on, that’s not normal. In most cases, any electrical changes tell us that your HVAC system is too large for your home.
11) Why is the Temperature Uneven in Each Room of My Home?
Uneven temperatures could signal many problems, such as:
- Poor airflow
- An inefficient HVAC system
- Clogged filter
- Dirty coils
- Low-quality insulation
You might be experiencing one of those issues or several. Our expert technicians can get to the bottom of it!
12) Can You Show Me How to Clean My System?
We’d be happy to clean your HVAC system for you during your annual maintenance check. However, we can also show you how to complete basic tasks yourself – such as cleaning your evaporator coils.
Just ask us during a 32-Point Tune-Up!
Need Air Conditioning Services? Call the Experts!
Did any questions stand out? Don’t wait for problems to get worse: they never get better on their own.
Our experts at Island Comfort will get to you as fast as possible and arrive with a fully stocked truck. We can complete many common repairs on the spot and provide you with expert guidance to care for your HVAC system.